What should be considered in software development outsourcing?
Not only choosing the right service provider, whose experience and skills meet the project requirement, is crucial, but knowing the factors that have an impact on the outcome of the outsourcing project can help you effectively collaborate with external companies. What is more, the perception and attitude of both clients and suppliers are highly relevant in outsourcing projects.
The factors that contribute to the success of the outsourcing project are:
- Communication between the client and the service provider, as well as inside the service provider team - is one of the most significant success factors. Open and transparent communication can help you build trust and establish business relationships with your partner to gain mutual benefits.
- Working according to the transition plan - in order to effectively move the project from the implementation to the maintenance phase, the team should perform the tasks and activities included in the project transition plan.
- Managing the business case for outsourcing - developing a business case for an outsourcing solution or initiative helps fully understand the short- and long-term advantages resulting from the outsourcing strategy. The business case allows evaluating the risks associated with the investment in an outsourcing initiative.
- Demand management - the service provider usually takes over the managing functions in the outsourced projects. Proper planning of the demand for project coordination has an impact on the outcome of the outsourced project.
- Vendor’s empathy - it is the capability of the service provider to put himself in the position of his client. The understanding of the client's needs, demands, and resources help the service provider to better manage the project.
What has a negative impact on outsourcing software development projects?
Nevertheless, not all outsourcing projects are successful. One of the most common problems arising in the outsourcing projects are related to communication:
- Deferred replies - in the outsourcing projects, there is usually the location distance between the client and a vendor. Therefore, late replies to emails and deferred calls may interrupt the effectiveness of the teamwork and development process.
- Deficiency of casual correspondence that is occasional and controlled - lack of systematic communication with the service provider might result in a loss of control over the progress of work, as well as prolong the process of solving obstacles that would cause a delay in the project implementation
- Non-recorded promises that are done amid videoconferencing or telephone conversation - the missing written summary of telephone or online calls between the customer and the service provider may lead to a conflict between the parties and failure to meet each other's expectations.
- Time zone - when one of the parties is located in another time zone, it seems to be problematic in terms of communication and collaboration. However, effective management allows you to work without any interference.
- Cultural differences - cultural diversity between cooperating companies can sometimes affect the effectiveness of communication. Nevertheless, dispelling negative stereotypes and learning other cultures helps you understand different perspectives and brings a fresh perspective to your project and work environment.
Despite communication issues, you can also come across other factors that can lead to the failure of the outsourcing project. On the graph are presented the top 10 issues depending on the frequency of occurrence:
Overall the success of the outsourcing strategy implementation can be improved with the knowledge of failure factors and their influences on complex projects. Therefore, it is highly recommended to consider all cases and put in an effort to mitigate the risk of project failure.
Read more from our brave's writers
How to export orders in Saleor.io to XLSX file
Get a better knowledge of your shop performace by exporting and analizing orders in excel.
How to manage tenants in the multitenant app based on django_tenants and saleor.io platform
Saleor is a great e-commerce open-source platform for building modern online stores. Uses Django framework and GraphQL to deliver a robust backend for creating PWA stores. Enhancing Saleor.io with multi-tenant abilities allows developing a SaaS platform that can manage multiple online stores from one place.
Data modeling in MongoDB with the usage of design patterns
Using NoSQL databases is slightly different than using primary relational databases like PostgreSQL. You have more freedom in data modeling of your documents cause each document of a collection can contain diversified properties. In larger projects, this advantage can lead to making a little mess in your data. Such as in the programming case, design patterns can help you organize your relations between documents and collections. There are many patterns that you can choose during data modeling in MongoDB, but in this article, you get to know about three of them.